Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
Jesuit Church of the Holy Trinity
Jesuitenkirche zur Hl. Dreifaltigkeit
Nach der Gründung des Jesuitenkollegs 1561 schritt man erst 1619 zum Bau einer eigenen Klosterkirche, deren Rohbau – am Platz vor der bestehenden – 1626 einstürzte. Hierauf folgte 1627/40 nach Plänen von Christoph Gumpp der Neubau, welcher jedoch erst 1900/01 vollendet werden konnte (Türme). In der Krypta befinden sich die Gräber der Kirchenstifter Erzherzog Leopold V. und Claudia de Medici.
Die Jesuitenkirche ist zugleich die Kirche der Tiroler Schützen. Im Ostturm befindet sich seit 1959 die Herz-Jesu-Glocke.
The Jesuit church is also the Church of the Tyrolean Guards. Since 1959 the east tower has housed the Sacred Heart bell.
Erected by Stadt Innsbruck (City of Innsbruck).
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Karl-Rahner-Platz 1, Innsbruck, Tyrol 6020, Austria.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old University (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The New Seminary (about 180 meters away); The Court or Franciscan Church (about 180 meters away); The Tower of the Coat of Arms (about 210 meters away); The House of Archduke Sigismund of Tyrol (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Teutonic Order House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); St. James Cathedral (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Precht House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Innsbruck.
Also see . . . Welcome to the Jesuit Church Innsbruck (University Church). The Jesuit Church was built between 1627 and 1640, however the construction of the towers in their current shape was finished not before 1901. In 2003/04 a thorough renovation of the interior took place. On this occasion, the main Sanctuary, which had been destroyed during World War II, was reconstructed and a new altar was installed in the middle. Besides that, a new entrance to the crypt was built close to the main entrance. In the crypt, there are the tombs of the Jesuits who died in Innsbruck as well as those of the founders of this church, Leopold V. and Claudia de Medici. In the tower, there is the 4th largest Austrian bell (weight: 9,200 kg; only the "Pummerin" in Vienna St Stephen's Cathedral, the Bell of St Salvator in Salzburg Cathedral, and the "Friedensglocke" in Moesern are larger). (Submitted on September 8, 2013.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 375 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.