Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Niles in Berrien County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Michigan Central Railroad Depot / Michigan Central Railroad Company

 
 
Michigan Central Railroad Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 6, 2013
1. Michigan Central Railroad Depot Marker
Inscription.

(Obverse Side)
Michigan Central Railroad Depot
This Richardsonian Romanesque-style depot was constructed in 1892 by the Michigan Central Railroad Company. Seeking to create a lasting impression of Michigan for passengers traveling to the 1893 Columbian Exposition, the company hired the Detroit firm of Spier and Rohns to design the station. Built mostly of Ohio sandstone, this depot replaced a ramshackle structure that the Niles Daily Star referred to as "the old cockroach repository." The grounds featured a pond and gardens designed by German immigrant John Gipner, who presented roses grown at the station to women arriving in Niles. The depot was showcased in several feature films including, The Continental Divide, Midnight Run, and Only the Lonely.

(Reverse Side)
Michigan Central Railroad Company
On October 2, 1848, "an era of prosperity" arrived in Niles when the Michigan Central Railroad Company (MCRR) became the first railroad to reach the city. Additional railroad lines soon followed, but by the 1920s, automobiles, buses, and trucks challenged railroads' dominance. During nationwide consolidation in the 1930s, the New York Central Railroad Company assumed control of the MCRR. Branch lines were eliminated, and the transfer of freight
Michigan Central Railroad Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 6, 2013
2. Michigan Central Railroad Company Marker
operations to Elkhart, Indiana, in 1958 further decreased rail traffic through Niles. Amtrak's arrival in 1974 maintained passenger service to the city and continued Niles' association with the railroad into the twenty-first century.
 
Erected 2009 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L1874.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 50.235′ N, 86° 15.16′ W. Marker is in Niles, Michigan, in Berrien County. Marker can be reached from Dey Street east of N. 5th Street (Michigan Highway 51), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 598 Dey Street, Niles MI 49120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan Central Railroad Niles Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Niles - A Transportation Center (approx. 0.4 miles away); Second Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ferry Street School (approx. 0.4 miles away); John and Horace Dodge / The Dodge Brothers (approx. half a mile away); The Chapin House / Henry Austin Chapin
Michigan Central Railroad Depot image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 6, 2013
3. Michigan Central Railroad Depot
(approx. half a mile away); Four Flags Hotel (approx. half a mile away); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niles.
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
West End of Michigan Central Railroad Depot image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 6, 2013
4. West End of Michigan Central Railroad Depot
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 562 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 7, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement