Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Paso Robles in San Luis Obispo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Adelaida

 
 
Adelaida Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 5, 2013
1. Adelaida Marker
Inscription. Since 1797 the route of the old padre trail through this area provided a key link to the coast for Mission San Miguel and the lower Salinas valley, especially in the 1860’s for the shipping of mercury, vital to the recovery of California’s gold.

During the mid 1800’s settlers and entrepreneurs flooded into the area, including Auguste and Pauline Dubost who arrived from France in 1882 and opened a blacksmith shop. He moved the Adelaida Post Office to this site in 1889 and became postmaster. He then proceeded to operate a general store, acquire interests in mines, run a portable steam engine to power threshing machinery and a saw mill and had a lime kiln operation for plaster and mortar used in Paso Robles construction. Late word of his daughter’s death, while on her honeymoon to Los Angeles in 1908, resulted in him cofounding the Adelaida Rural Telephone Company, maintained and owned by grandson Raymond Dubost until 1960. By his death in 1917 Auguste Dubost had accumulated nearly 4000 acres of Adelaida ranchland.

During those halcyon days Adelaida supported six schools, three post offices, three churches, two dance halls, two stores and perhaps 700 people producing livestock, grain, lumber and mining mercury. With the arrival of the railroad in Paso Robles and fading of the mining era, the need for coastal access was
Adelaida Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 5, 2013
2. Adelaida Marker
minimized and the area declined with most of the 180 homesteads consolidated into large ranches. Today, Adelaida again flourishes with wine production, orchards, ranching and farming activities, idling in quiet reverie of his heyday years in the late 1800’s.
 
Erected 2000 by E Clampus Vitus, de la Guerra y Pacheco Chapter 1.5.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 35° 38.798′ N, 120° 52.418′ W. Marker is near Paso Robles, California, in San Luis Obispo County. Marker is on Adelaida Road ¼ mile north of Klau Mine Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9850 Adelaida Road, Paso Robles CA 93446, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lincoln-Adelaida School (approx. 1.8 miles away); Willow Creek Mennonite Church (approx. 5 miles away); Brewster – Dutra House (approx. 10.1 miles away); First Mennonite Church (approx. 10.3 miles away); The Famous Hotel El Paso de Robles 1891 - 1940 (approx. 10.3 miles away); Ignacy Jan Paderewski
Plaque on the right side of the Adelaida Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 5, 2013
3. Plaque on the right side of the Adelaida Marker
In Memorium
Universal recognition of the vial role play by pioneer women and their successors in repeated frequently in Adelaida history. We salute them all when we recognize one of our own beloved:
Anne Dubost Thorpe
1918 – 1994
Dedicated by the Dubost – Thorpe Families
May 8, 2000
(approx. 10.4 miles away); Paso Robles Veterans Memorial (approx. 10.4 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paso Robles.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 8, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement