Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Silver Spring in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Building Blocks

A Penny for Your Thoughts

 

—Silver Spring Heritage - Colesville Road —

 
Building Blocks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 7, 2013
1. Building Blocks Marker
Inscription. "Shop Along the Silver Strip, Suburban Washington's Newest and Finest Shopping Community," proclaimed the January 8, 1942 Silver Spring Standard newspaper upon its opening. Businesses residing in these storefronts offered a variety of consumer services generating sidewalk traffic along this side of Colesville Road. Note Art Deco detailing on the limestone facades and the distinctive "floating" display case windows and recessed entrances.

The Fillmore Silver Spring has enlivened the block since 2011. This International Style granite and limestone landmark at 8656 Colesville Road began its life in 1950 as J. C. Penny Co. department store No. 1334. Prominent architect Clifton Bryan White, of Silver Spring, received a diploma of merit for its "superior architecture" from the American Institute of Architects Maryland Division. An immediate hit with shoppers from the day it opened, the store's size doubled to nearly 40,000 sq. ft. in 1956. Expanded facilities included one of the largest men's wear departments in Penny's chain, and an entire floor devoted to women's fashion. An outside patio displaying outdoor furniture, picnic equipment, and garden tools was a new feature. This store operated until 1988.

Earliest extant structures on this side of the block are the 1941 Real Estate Co. headquarters with
Building Blocks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 7, 2013
2. Building Blocks Marker
nine offices and two stores at 8634-8635 Colesville Road, and the 1940 La June Hairdressers (with air conditioning!), 8642-8644 Colesville . All were constructed by MRE. founded 1937 by President J. Ingram Medley (1891-1984) and Secretary/Treasurer Walker L. Funderburk (1899-1989). They began their careers in 1928 and 1923 respectively with Col. E. Brooke Lee, founder of the North Washington Realty Co., a pioneering developer of commercial and residential properties in Silver Spring. This block is part of the Silver Spring Central Business Historic District.
 
Erected 2013.
 
Location. 38° 59.855′ N, 77° 1.636′ W. Marker is in Silver Spring, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Colesville Road (U.S. 29) and Fentron Street, on the right when traveling south on Colesville Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8668 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring MD 20910, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Silver Opportunity (here, next to this marker); Silver Spring Shopping Center (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Modern Banking (about 800 feet away); 24-Hour Service (about 800
Building Blocks Marker<br> In front of T-Mobile, 8668 Colesville Road image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 7, 2013
3. Building Blocks Marker
In front of T-Mobile, 8668 Colesville Road
feet away); Silver Spring Armory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Springing Up (approx. ¼ mile away); A Community Grows (approx. ¼ mile away); A New Deal in Town (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Silver Spring.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Yeagers image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 7, 2013
4. Yeagers
A Rooftop Neon sign marks Yeager's Ladies Shoppe, 8630 Colesville Road, opened from 1943 to 1967. Nan Richards Town and Country Clothes, Sherer's Men's Wear, Louie's Steak House, Baltimore Life Insurance Co. and Clark's Flowers are also seen in this early 1950s photograph.
Close-up of photo on marker
Silver Spring Historical Society
Penney's image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 7, 2013
5. Penney's
J.C. Penny Co., 8664 Colesville Road, 1950. Silver Spring store No. 1334 opened August 17, 1950, under Lincoln E. Martin's management. In 1956 the store was remodeled, and the selling area increased from 20,014 to 38,094 square feet. The address was also changed to 8656 Colesville Road.
Close-up of photo on marker
J.C. Penny Museum and Archives
Chifton Bryan White image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 7, 2013
6. Chifton Bryan White
Works by Architect Clifton Bryan White (1905-1985) also include churches, residences, commercial, and industrial buildings.
Close-up of photo on marker
Anne White Roberston
Penney's Opens image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 7, 2013
7. Penney's Opens
J.C. Penney's First Local Advertisement for its new Silver Spring store appeared in the August 18, 1950 Maryland News.
Close-up of illustration on marker
Collection of Silver Spring Historical Society
Shoppers image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 7, 2013
8. Shoppers
Colesville Road Shoppers in 1971 patronized these businesses (L-R) Fredland Jewelers (8616), Simco Shoes (8618), Baker's Shoes (8622) Dinette Center (8624), Palacio Women's Clothes (88626) and Shirley Women's Clothes (8630).
Close-up of photo on marker
Dave Stovall
The Fillmore image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 7, 2013
9. The Fillmore
The Fillmore<br>In the J. C. Penney Building image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 7, 2013
10. The Fillmore
In the J. C. Penney Building
The Fillmore Logo<br> on the pylon. image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 7, 2013
11. The Fillmore Logo
on the pylon.
Art Deco Detail<br>8632 Georgia image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 5, 2013
12. Art Deco Detail
8632 Georgia
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 439 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on September 11, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   12. submitted on October 5, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement