Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ironsides in Charles County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Durham Parish

Established 1692

 
 
Durham Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 25, 2011
1. Durham Parish Marker
Inscription. One of the original thirty parishes established by an act of the General Assembly of Maryland on June the 2nd 1692. A log church was first erected on this site as reported by the vestry to the Governor in 1694. Existing church was constructed in 1732-34, walls were raised to provide galleries and major repairs completed in 1793.

Placed as a witness to the debt of the church to the wisdom and fidelity of those whose work, done in the past lives today.

Vestry 1966
 
Erected 1966 by Durham Parish Vestry.
 
Location. 38° 29.35′ N, 77° 9.683′ W. Marker is in Ironsides, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker can be reached from Ironsides Road. Touch for map. Left of the front door, Christ Church Durham Parish 8685 Ironsides Rd. Marker is in this post office area: Ironsides MD 20643, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Daniel E. Sickles, U.S.A. (approx. 3.3 miles away); Rum Point (approx. 3.8 miles away); Washington's Farm (approx. 3.8 miles away); General Smallwood's Gravesite (approx. 4.4 miles away); General Joseph Hooker, U.S.A.
Durham Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 25, 2011
2. Durham Parish Marker
Marker is on the Left of the Front Door.
(approx. 4.5 miles away); Smallwood's Home (approx. 4.5 miles away); Budds Ferry (approx. 4.8 miles away); Rich Resources (approx. 5 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Old Durham Church (Christ Church Episcopal) Ironsides. National Register Nomination Form, Maryland IHP. "A plain but attractive brick structure, Old Durham is the second oldest example of colonial ecclesiastical architecture in Charles County and the oldest and best known of the five surviving 18th century Episcopal churches." (Submitted on September 12, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
Durham Parish Church<br>Christ Church Episcopal image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 25, 2011
3. Durham Parish Church
Christ Church Episcopal
Flemish Bond<br> with glazed headers image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 25, 2011
4. Flemish Bond
with glazed headers
This Limestone Chip.... image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 25, 2011
5. This Limestone Chip....
This limestone chip from the Washington Cathedral site was given in joyful friendship to Durham Parish Church by Kenneth Moore of Durham (Washington Parish), England on the occasion of a visit here may 26, 1988 with his wife, Mildred, and Daughter Kay
"What has happened before will happen again..." Ecclesiastes 1:1-10
Durham Parish Church Interior image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 25, 2011
6. Durham Parish Church Interior
Durham Parish Church Interior image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 25, 2011
7. Durham Parish Church Interior
Christ Church, Durham Parish <br>1692 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 25, 2011
8. Christ Church, Durham Parish
1692
Presented by
Lady Jane Sewall Chapter
National Society of Colonial Dames XVII Century
May 21, 2005
General Smallwood marker on the1932 Commemorative Wall image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 25, 2011
9. General Smallwood marker on the1932 Commemorative Wall
In Honor of
General William Smallwood
Born in Maryland 1732
Died in Maryland 1792
Chief of Staff to General George Washington in the
War of the American Revolution in 1776 - 1783
Governor of Maryland 1785 - 1788
Vestryman of Durham Church 1775-1791

Erected by the General Smallwood Chapter D.A.R. 1932 in Commemoration of the 200th Aniversary of Generals Washington and Smallwood and of Durham Church.
George Washington Marker in 1932 Commemorative Wall image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 25, 2011
10. George Washington Marker in 1932 Commemorative Wall
Erected in Honor of
George Washington
1732 - 1932

by the Maryland Society of the Colonial Dames of America
Sundial image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 25, 2011
11. Sundial
"To the left of the walk leading to the west entrance is an early sundial that for more than a century was used to establish the time of services." Nat. Reg. Nomination Form.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 12, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   9, 10, 11. submitted on September 13, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement