Hoboken in Hudson County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Stevens Institute of Technology
In 1784, these 564 acres belonging to William Bayard, her great, great grandson, were declared forfeit because he had "joined the Army of the King of Great Britian," they were bought at public auction for £18,360 by Colonel John Stevens "Treasurer on Horseback" of the State of New Jersey during the War of the Revolution.
In 1863, his son Edwin Augustus who had married Marthy Bayard Dod of Princeton, a descendant in the seventh generation of Anna Stuyvesant Bayard, left this land and an endowment for a "School of Learning" which was established in the year 1870 as The Stevens Institute of Technology.
Location. 40° 44.611′ N, 74° 1.547′ W. Marker is in Hoboken, New Jersey, in Hudson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of River Street and 6th Street. Touch for map. This marker is on the campus of Stevens Institute of Technology next to the Walker Gymnasium. There are no public streets on campus. It is closest to the entrance near the intersection of River & 6th streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: Castle Point on the Hudson, Hoboken NJ 07030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Hudson River Bridge Cornerstone (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sergeant William Fesken Memorial Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stephen Foster House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil War Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hudson School (approx. 0.3 miles away); New York Yacht Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elysian Fields (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hoboken.
Categories. • Education • Landmarks • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,120 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 3, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.