Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Nanticoke in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Concrete City

 
 
Concrete City Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 3, 2013
1. Concrete City Marker
Inscription. Notable for early use of International Style architectural concepts in creating “model” industrial housing. Located ¼ - mile north of here. The homes, built by the D L & W Railroad's Coal Division for forty Truesdale Colliery employees, were opened in 1913. Constructed of poured concrete, the twenty two-story rectangular double houses surrounded a park. Controlled by the Glen Alden Coal Company after 1921; abandoned in 1924.
 
Erected 1998 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 11.132′ N, 75° 58.839′ W. Marker is near Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, in Luzerne County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street (State Road 2010) and Phillip Street, on the right when traveling east on Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nanticoke PA 18634, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pete Gray Wyshner (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Nanticoke (approx. 1.4 miles away); Coal Miners Memorial Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); War Memorial
Wide view of the Concrete City Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 3, 2013
2. Wide view of the Concrete City Marker
(approx. 1.6 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named War Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nanticoke.
 
Also see . . .  The haunting remains of Concrete City | Times News Online. Concrete City, just outside of Nanticoke, was the first phase of a new age in mining villages when the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad built this development of 20 buildings in 1911. It was a time when the companies were experimenting with giving their best workers better living conditions. (Submitted on September 16, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 439 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 15, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement