Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bolzano, South Tyrol, Italy
 

Franciscan Monastery

Chiesa e Convento dei Francescani

 

—Kirche und Kloster der Franziskaner —

 
Franciscan Monastery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 20, 2013
1. Franciscan Monastery Marker
Inscription. The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom).

Complesso conventuale dei Francescani, documenti a Bolzano dal 1237, sorto su un terreno del Vescovo di Bressanone attorno all’antica cappella de S. Ingenuino.
Dopo l’incendio del 1291, la chiesa viene ricostruita in forme gotiche: il coro e il campanile sono del XIV sec., il soffitto a volte risale alla metà del XV sec.
All’interno altare a portelle di H. Klocker (1500).
Nel chiostro trecentesco affreschi gotici e tele del XVIII secolo. Nella cappella de S. Erardo ciclo di affreschi protogotici (XIV sec.).

Die seit 1237 belegte Klosteranlage der Franziskaner entstand auf Brixner Bistumsgrund im Bereich der hochmittelalterlichen St. Ingenuins-Kapelle.
Die Kirche wurde nach dem Brand von 1291 in gotischem Stil wiederaufgebaut: Chor und Turm stammen aus dem 14 Jh., das Gewölbe aus der Mitte des 15. Jh. Im Inneren der Kirche Flügelaltar von H. Klocker (1500).
Der Kreuzgang aus dem 14. Jh. ist mit gotischen Fresken und Gemälden des 18. Jh. ausgeschmückt. In der Erhardskapelle frühgotische Wandmalereien (14. Jh.).

Franciscan monastery complex, documented since 1237, built on a land of the Bishop of Bressanone/Brixen around the ancient St. Ingenuin chapel.
The
Franciscan Monastery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 20, 2013
2. Franciscan Monastery Marker
church dedicated to St. Francis was rebuilt in Gothic style after the 1291 fire and enriched by vaults around 1450. 14th century choir and bell tower. Within: alter with doors by H. Klocker (1500).
In the 14th century cloister, Gothic frescoes and 18th century paintings. In St. Erhard’s chapel, cycle of proto-Gothic frescoes (14th century).
 
Erected by Cita di Bolzano/Stadt Bozen.
 
Location. 46° 30.042′ N, 11° 21.221′ E. Marker is in Bolzano, South Tyrol. Marker is on Via dei Francescani, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Via dei Francescani, 1, Bolzano, South Tyrol 39100, Italy.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Residence of the Troilo Family (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Neptune’s Fountain (about 180 meters away); The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (about 180 meters away); Mercantile Palace (about 240 meters away); Cathedral (Parish Church of Our Lady of the Assumption) (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dominican Church and Monastery (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); First World War Military Hospital (approx. 0.4 kilometers away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Franciscan Monastery Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 20, 2013
3. Franciscan Monastery Plaque
Franziskanerkirche
und- Kloster
ersterwähnung 1239
prima menzione chiesa
e convento
dei Francescani
Heimatschutz – Verein Bozen

Italian/German – English translation

Franciscan Church
and Monastery
First mentioned in 1239
Cultural Heritage Association Bolzano
Franciscan Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 20, 2013
4. Franciscan Church
Franciscan Church, stained glass windows and altar image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 20, 2013
5. Franciscan Church, stained glass windows and altar
Franciscan Monastery Kloster image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 20, 2013
6. Franciscan Monastery Kloster
Franciscan Monastery frescoes image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 20, 2013
7. Franciscan Monastery frescoes
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 448 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement