Bolzano, South Tyrol, Italy
First World War Military Hospital
Dieses Gebäude, von 1276 bis 1790 Dominikanerkloster, diente im 1. Weltkrieg als K.u.K. Kriegslazarett. Hier bergündete im August 1916 der Regimentsarzt Dr. Lorenz Böhler die moderne unfallchirurgie.
Italian/German – English translation:
This building, formerly the convent of the Dominicans from 1276 to 1790, was used during the First World War as an (Austrian) imperial military hospital. Here in August 1916 the regimental surgeon Dr. Lorenz Boehler began modern trauma surgery.
Erected 1989 by Heimatschutzerein Bozen.
Location. 46° 29.864′ N, 11° 21.103′ E. Marker is in Bolzano, South Tyrol. Marker is on Piazza Domenicani/Dominikaner Platz, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Piazza Domenican, 18, Bolzano, South Tyrol 39100, Italy.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dominican Church and Monastery (a few steps from this marker); Neptune’s Fountain Cathedral (Parish Church of Our Lady of the Assumption) (about 180 meters away); Residence of the Troilo Family (about 210 meters away); Mercantile Palace (about 240 meters away); The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Franciscan Monastery (approx. 0.4 kilometers away).
Also see . . . Lorenz Böhler - Wikipedia. In 1914 Lorenz Böhler went to an international surgeons congress in New York. On his way to the congress he met Belgian doctor Albin Lambotte, who told him about surgical methods of fracture treatment....the military hospital was expanded to a special station for bone fractures and renamed “Spezialabteilung für Knochenschussbrüche und Gelenkschüsse”. There Lorenz Böhler was able to realize some of his most groundbreaking ideas: everything got specialized and standardized, records were kept for later (statistic) analyses... (Submitted on September 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Science & Medicine • War, World I •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 405 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.