Bolzano, South Tyrol, Italy
Cathedral (Parish Church of Our Lady of the Assumption)
Duomo (Chiesa parrocchiale di S. Maria Assunta)
—Dom (Stadtpfarrkirche Maria Himmelfahrt) —
Chiesa parrocchiale di impianto romanico eretta nei secoli XIII e XIV sul luogo di una basilica paleocristiana (V-VI sec.) e di una chiesa altomedievale (IX sec.). Fu ampliata e modificata in stile gotico (XIV-XVI sec). Il campanile con cuspide a traforo tardogotica è opera del maestro svevo Hans Lutz di Schussenried (1519). All’interno affreschi gotici, pulpito in arenaria grigia (1514) e altare maggiore barocco in marmo policromo (1710-1720). Nella Cappella delle Grazie affreschi di K. Henrici (1771) ed una Madonna allattante, scultura romanica del XIII sec. Dal 1964 è cattedrale della diocesi di Bolzano-Bressanone.
Städtische Pfarrkirche vom Mittelalter bis zur Einrichtung der Diözese Bozen-Brixen im Jahr 1964, seither Bischofskirche („Bozner Dom“). Auf den Resten einer frühchristlichen Basilika (5.-6. Jh.) und einer Anlage des 9. Jh. entstand ein dreischiffiger romanischer Bau, der von der Mitte des 14. bis ins 16. Jh. zu einer gotischen Hallenkirche umgestaltet wurde.
Der spätgotische Turm mit reich durchbrochenem Pyramidenabschluss ist Werk des schwäbischen Meisters Hans Lutz von Schussenried (1519 vollendet).
Im Inneren u.a. Reste gotischer Fresken, Sandsteinkanzel (1514) und barocker
Ancient city parish church built in the 13th-14th centuries. It stands on the site of an early Christian basilica (5th-6th century) and of an early Medieval church (9th century).
The Romanesque structure was enlarged and changed to Gothic style (14th-16th century). The bell tower with its lacy pinnacle was built in 1519 by Hanz Lutz von Schussenried.
Within: Gothic frescoes, grey sandstone pulpit (1514) and monumental Baroque high alter in polychrome marble (1710-1720). In the Chapel of the Graces, frescoes by K. Henrice (1771) and Romanesque sculpture of Nursing Madonna (13th century). Since 1964 the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption has been the Cathedral of the diocese of Bolzano/Bozen and Bressamone/Brixen
Location. 46° 29.868′ N, 11° 21.249′ E. Marker is in Bolzano, South Tyrol. Marker is at the intersection of Piazza della Parrocchi/Pfarrplatz and Piazza Walther von der Vogelweide, on the right when traveling west on Piazza della Parrocchi/Pfarrplatz. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bolzano, South Tyrol 39100, Italy.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mercantile Palace (about Residence of the Troilo Family (about 150 meters away); Dominican Church and Monastery (about 180 meters away); First World War Military Hospital (about 180 meters away); Neptune’s Fountain (about 210 meters away); Franciscan Monastery (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (approx. 0.4 kilometers away).
Also see . . . Assumption of Our Lady Cathedral in Bolzano. Bolzano.net's page for the Cathedral: It is Bolzano's chief landmark and at the same time a gem of Romanesque and Gothic architecture, a symbol of the sustained and fruitful meeting of southern and northern influences in Bolzano. The subject is of course the Assumption of Our Lady Cathedral, showpiece of the town's medieval centre and main square, the Walther Square.
...The architects and master builders, the Schiche brothers from Augsburg gave the cathedral its Gothic appearance in the 14th century, built of reddish sandstone from Val Gardena and yellow sandstone from the south of South Tyrol. The gargoyles reminiscent of Notre Dame in Paris are artistically chiselled and masterworks of High Gothic architecture. (Submitted on September 20, 2013.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 598 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 5. submitted on September 20, 2013. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.