Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
13 South 13th Street
The ironfront, which accents the entries and defines the public areas of this handsome four-part facade, was manufactured by the Trdegar Ironworks. The famous "iron maker of the Confederacy," whose foundry was located just up the river from here, adapted a part of its munitions plant to the production of cast-iron architectural elements after the Civil War. Cast iron was an inexpensive alternative to stone for embellishing building facades. Molten iron was poured into molds and then cooled. Because individual pieces were put together to produce a section, the production of several elements could result in a variety of designs. Richmond was an important center for architectural metalwork until the late nineteenth century, when steel began to dominate the market.
The building was restored by the Virginia Housing Development Authority in 1978.
Location. 37° 32.149′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13 S 13th St, Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Telephone Exchange South of the Potomac River (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Hawk (1767-1838) (within shouting distance of this marker); 1300-1304 East Cary Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 1200 Block East Cary Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Commercial Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbian Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Bowers Brothers Coffee and Tea Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1201 East Cary Street (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.