Richland in Kalamazoo County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The First Presbyterian Church
Settlers from Hudson, Ohio, came to the Richland area (then known as Gull Prairie) in 1830. A year later, a Presbyterian congregation was organized. Established under the 1801 Plan of Union adopted by the Presbyterians and Congregationalists for churches west of New York, the church originally served both denominations. The early "Presbygationalists" worshiped in the log homes of the settlers until they built their first house of worship, a wood frame structure completed in 1837, on this site.
Dedicated on February 27, 1861, during the pastorate of Milton Bradley, this is the First Presbyterian congregation's second church. William Doolittle and Stephen Patrick built the Greek Revival frame edifice with its round-headed Italianate doors and windows at a cost of $7,000. The original bell cracked and was replaced by the present one in 1881. Until 1886 a slender ornate steeple stood thirty feet higher than today's tower. The interior was altered in 1952, but the original pews remain.
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L835A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8047 Park Street, Richland MI 49083, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Community Library (a few steps from this marker); First Religious Service in Kalamazoo County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); W.K. Kellogg House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Barn Theatre (approx. 5.6 miles away); Park Theatre (approx. 6.1 miles away); William Rufus Shafter Memorial (approx. 6.4 miles away); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (approx. 6.4 miles away); Congregational United Church of Christ (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richland.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 291 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.