Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
42nd Indiana Infantry
Lieut. Col. W.T.B. McIntire.
Nov. 25, 1863.
Erected 1909 by the State of Indiana. (Marker Number MT-189.)
Location. 35° 0.747′ N, 85° 16.127′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road north of Old Ringgold Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This historic marker is located along the western side of the roadway, on the western crest of Missionary Ridge. According to the location information provided by the National Park Service, “Bronze tablet marker located at 285 South Crest Road/1934 Map 156". Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Strahl's Brigade. (within shouting distance of this marker); 94th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlin's Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 88th Indiana Infantry (about 300 feet away); 33rd Ohio Infantry (about 500 feet away); Strahl's Brigade Johnson's Division (about 600 feet away); 38th Indiana Infantry (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “3' x 2' bronze inscription tablet with decorative egg & dart border mounted on low iron pedestal. Describes the unit's activities on November 25, 1863.”
In addition, the National Park Service reports that, "The bronze tablet was re-cast in 2012 and re-installed in 2013."
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on August 25, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.