Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Twelfth Army Corps

Stainrook's Brigade, Green's Division

 
 
Stainrook's Brigade Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 29, 2008
1. Stainrook's Brigade Tablet
Both General Greene's and French's names are misspelled on the tablet.
Inscription.
U.S.A.
Twelfth Army Corps
Stainrook's Brigade, Green's Division,

Col. Henry J. Stainrook, 100th Penn., Commanding.
Organization.
3d Maryland Infantry, 102d New York Infantry,
111th Pennsylvania Infantry.
(September 17, 1862.)

After the Confederate right flank had been turned, Stainrook's Brigade pursued through the East Woods, cross the fields to the left of the burned buildings on the Mumma Farm and halted behind the ridge a few yards east of this point where with the assistance of Monroe's and Tomkin's Rhode Island Batteries, it protected the right of Frenche's Division of the Second Corps, and repulsed several assaults of the enemy. About 10:30 a.m., the brigade crossed this road and entered the woods on the left of the Dunkard Church its left on the road directly opposite this tablet where it remained until noon when it was compelled to retire to the East Woods.
 
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number 52.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 28.458′ N, 77° 44.762′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on
3rd Maryland Monument and Stainrook's Brigade Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain
2. 3rd Maryland Monument and Stainrook's Brigade Tablet
The exit from the Visitors Center and the artillery display are seen in the background.
Dunker Church Road / Old Hagerstown Pike, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at the exit to the Antietam Battlefield visitors center. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 3rd Maryland Volunteer Infantry (here, next to this marker); The Maryland Campaign of 1862 (within shouting distance of this marker); Battlefield Namesake (within shouting distance of this marker); Longstreet's Command (within shouting distance of this marker); A Converging Storm of Iron (within shouting distance of this marker); 10-Pounder Parrott Rifle (within shouting distance of this marker); A Savage Continual Thunder (within shouting distance of this marker); 3-Inch Ordnance Rifle (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Follow Stainrook's Brigade by tablets and monuments.
 
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on April 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, XII Corps. The 109th Pennsylvania, also part of this brigade, was detached on guard duties. (Submitted on April 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Advance of Stainrook's Brigade image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 29, 2008
3. Advance of Stainrook's Brigade
From the New York State Monument, looking northeast. The Mumma Farm is on the right. The East Woods stood in the distant left. Stainrook's Brigade advanced directly toward the camera from the woods. After defending, using the fold of the ground here in the foreground, the brigade advanced across the Hagerstown Pike around 10:30.
 

3. Henry J. Stainrook. Henry J. Stainrook (d. May 3, 1863), occasionally spelled Steinrock, led a regiment of the Army of Virginia and the Army of the Potomac in the American Civil War. He briefly led a brigade at the Battle of Antietam. (Submitted on October 27, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Federals Sieze the Dunker Church image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain
4. Federals Sieze the Dunker Church
For a short period around noon, portions of Greene's Division including Stainrook's Brigade crossed the Hagerstown Pike and held the Dunker Church. Forming a perimeter around the church area, the regiments of the brigade defended the sector against determined Confederate efforts to retake the position. The 3rd Maryland anchored their line on the Pike, near the intersection with the park visitors center exit, extending to the west (left of photo) facing south. On their right was the 111th Pennsylvania.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 691 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on April 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on April 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on April 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement