Middletown in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Joshua Beckwith House
During the battle of South Mountain in 1862, this site was used to triage casualties for care in the former Wesley Methodist Church, to the right, which served as a field hospital.
In 1867 Joshua Beckwith (1818-1910) purchased the lot and built this Greek revival residence. He operated a notions and millinery store on the first floor into the late 1800's. The Double Door entrance to the Old shop is still visible.
Russell Lighter (1868-19510 purchased this house from Beckwith's heirs in 1903 and lived here with his sisters; "Judge" Lighter served on the Orphan's Court for Frederick County.
Location. 39° 26.642′ N, 77° 32.899′ W. Marker is in Middletown, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on Old National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40) west of Elm Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 Old National Pike, Middletown MD 21769, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Appleman's Tannery (within shouting distance of this marker); Middletown (within shouting distance of this marker); a different Middletown (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Middletown (within shouting distance of this marker); 301 West Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Middletown in the Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); Middletown in the Path of War (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Commemoration (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middletown.
Regarding Joshua Beckwith House. Beckwith Millinery Store and Residence, 211 W. Main St. The two-story frame Italianate store-residence was built about 1867-68 by Joshua Beckwith. It has a three-bay south elevation with flush wood siding on the front and modillion cornices above the first story storefront and at the main roofline. On the exposed east elevation, the hipped standing seam metal roof has a cross gable with a semi-circular window above a second floor window and cantilevered balcony. The building is now used as a residence, but the storefront remains intact, with center double glazed panel doors
Categories. • Man-Made Features • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 3, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.