Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paulding in Paulding County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Paulding County

 
 
Paulding County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 1, 2013
1. Paulding County Marker
Inscription. Named for John Paulding, a Revolutionary War soldier whose capture of a British spy implicated Benedict Arnold in treason, Paulding County was formed in 1820 from the last remaining unorganized area of Ohio. Sparsely settled, it remained under the jurisdiction of Wood County until 1824 and then Williams County until 1839. Paulding's first county seat was established at New Rochester in 1839, then moved to Charloe in 1841. Centrally-located Paulding Center became the county seat in 1851, and a courthouse was built the following year. The present courthouse, built during the region's timber boom of the late 19th century, was designed by architect Edward Oscar Fallis and patterned after his Lenawee County courthouse in Adrian, Michigan. The four-faced Romanesque style building was completed in 1888 at a cost of $40,000. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
 
Erected 2000 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Longaberger Company, Paulding County Board of Commissioners, and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-63.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 8.253′ N, 84° 34.834′ 
Paulding County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 1, 2013
2. Paulding County Marker
At intersection of N. Williams Street and E. Perry Street
W. Marker is in Paulding, Ohio, in Paulding County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Williams Street (U.S. 127) and E. Perry Street, on the right when traveling north on N. Williams Street. Touch for map. Marker is located at the southwest corner of the County Courthouse lawn. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 N. Williams Street, Paulding OH 45879, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paulding County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Paulding County Carnegie Library (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Miami-Erie and Wabash-Erie Canals (approx. 7.5 miles away); Charloe (approx. 7.6 miles away); The Indians (approx. 8.8 miles away); Fort Brown (approx. 8.8 miles away); Site of Fort Brown (approx. 8.8 miles away); Antwerp and Carryall Township (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paulding.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Paulding County Marker on Courthouse Lawn image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 1, 2013
3. Paulding County Marker on Courthouse Lawn
Paulding County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 1, 2013
4. Paulding County Courthouse
West side facing N. Williams Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 4, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement