Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milford in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
1. Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. It is believed that parishioners of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church were worshiping in a private residence on North Street by 1859. The church eventually moved to a site on Church Street to accommodate the growing congregation. On March 2, 1895 Bethel AME Church was formally incorporated. In April of the same year, a lot was acquired on Fourth Street from Amelia Brinkley and a house of worship was built. A second building on Church Street, for use as a parsonage, was conveyed to the Trustees by Emma Deputy in 1926. Membership outgrew the frame structure on Fourth Street, and services were moved back to the original church, while a new cinder block building was under construction. The new church opened in 1937, and the original building, known as "Old Bethel", was sold to Joseph Shockley in 1939. In 1965 a new parsonage was purchased on Truitt Street, and the Church Street site was sold. In 1999 the Bethel AME Community Life Center opened on property obtained behind the sanctuary. Bethel AME Church continues to serve the spiritual needs of the Milford community.
 
Erected 2008 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-111.)
 
Location. 38° 54.992′ N, 75° 25.935′ W. Marker is in Milford, Delaware
Bethel AME Church image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
2. Bethel AME Church
, in Kent County. Marker is on 4th Street. Touch for map. Between West and Church Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Milford DE 19963, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christ Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Joseph Oliver (about 400 feet away); Site of Milford's First Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); The Towers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Parson Thorne Mansion (approx. mile away); Mispillion River Greenway Historical Sites (approx. 0.3 miles away); Milford (approx. 0.3 miles away); Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 715 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on October 5, 2013, by Kathleen Black of Woodbridge, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement