Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
William Rittenhouse, first Mennonite minister in America, erected here in 1690 the colonies’ first paper mill. Successive generations of Rittenhouses built additional mills, establishing this region as the center of American papermaking. By the 1850s this village had over 40 buildings, and seven early buildings survive from this once prosperous industrial community. Scientist David Rittenhouse was born here in 1732.
Erected 1990 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 1.753′ N, 75° 11.41′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is on Lincoln Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is accessible from the parking area for Rittenhouse Town off Lincoln Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19144, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. David Rittenhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Rittenhouse Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Herb Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jacob Rittenhouse Home at RittenhouseTown (within shouting distance Battle of Germantown (within shouting distance of this marker); Rittenhousetown Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Mary Davis Ridgway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ten Box Shelter (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Also see . . . Historic RittenhouseTown – A National Landmark District. (Submitted on October 5, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 5, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.