Round Rock in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Trinity Lutheran College
With Dr. J.A. Stamline serving as president, first session opened Oct. 2, 1906. There were four faculty members, 48 academic students, and 11 enrolled in the music departments. Total enrollment rose to 96 during the first year. Successive presidents were Alfred Anderson, 1909-1914; Theodore Seashore, 1914-1921; Dr. J.A. Stamline and Oscar Nelson, ad interim, 1921-1923; and Harry A. Alden, 1923-1929.
Despite such recognition as state accreditation (achieved 1920), school failed financially. In 1929 it merged with Evangelical Lutheran College, which was founded in 1891 at Brenham, moved to Seguin 1912, and with this merger became Texas Lutheran College.
On the vacated Round Rock campus, Lutheran Welfare Society on Oct. 9, 1929, opened Trinity Lutheran Homes, to care for children and aged persons. In 1972 only one of the former college buildings still survives.
Erected 1972 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9365.)
Location. 30° 30.679′ N, 97° 40.147′ W. Marker is in Round Rock, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Main Avenue near College Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 E Main Ave., Round Rock TX 78664, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Olson House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); A. J. and Carolina Anderson House (approx. ¼ mile away); Nelson-Crier House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Andrew J. Palm House (approx. half a mile away); Early Commercial Building (approx. half a mile away); Old Broom Factory Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Otto Reinke Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sam Bass' Death Site (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Round Rock.
Also see . . . Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 675 times since then. Last updated on October 5, 2013, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 5, 2013, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 5. submitted on December 15, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.