San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Cattle Drives
From March through August, the great herds that wound through Hays County found ample grazing and numerous spring-fed streams (many now dried up.) The cattle forded the San Marcos river near today’s Cheatham Street bridge and were bedded along the east bank, generally between Aquarena Springs Drive and I-35. The herds proceeded to the vicinity of present Buda, then exited the county near Onion Creek.
The arrival of the International and Great Northern Railway Company in 1881 substantially ended the trail drives. And not a moment too soon for homemakers who detested the billowing swarms of houseflies they attracted.
Location. 29° 49.478′ N, 97° 57.059′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is at the intersection of South Old Bastrop Road (County Touch for map. Marker is located across from San Macros High School on Old Bastrop Road (also known as the Camino Real). Marker is at or near this postal address: 2601 E McCarty Ln, San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Camino De Nacogdoches (approx. 1.8 miles away but has been reported missing); Gen. Antonio Gaona’s 1836 Campaign (approx. 2.9 miles away but has been reported missing); Wonder Cave (approx. 3.7 miles away); Don Felipe Roque de la Portilla (approx. 3.8 miles away); Site of the First Town of San Marcos (approx. 3.8 miles away); Charles Lewis McGehee Cabin (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Calaboose (approx. 3.9 miles away); Col. Ignacio Elizondo’s 1813 Campaign (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Additional keywords. El Camino Real
Categories. • Animals • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.