Skagway in Skagway Borough, Alaska — The American West (Northwest)
Three Thousand Pack Animals
The dead are speaking in memory of us three thousand pack animals that laid our bones on these awful hills during the Gold Rush of 1897-1898. We now thank those listening that heard our groans across this stretch of years
We waited but not in vain.
Placed by the Ladies of the Golden North and the Alaska–Yukon Pioneers
Erected 1997 by Ladies of the Golden North and the Alaska – Yukon Pioneers.
Location. 59° 27.175′ N, 135° 19.17′ W. Marker is in Skagway, Alaska, in Skagway Borough. Marker is on Centennial Park south of Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 157 Broadway, Skagway AK 99840, Skagway AK 99840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Skagway Centennial Statue (here, next to this marker); Skagway and White Pass (a few steps from this marker); Inspector Charles Constantine (within shouting distance of this marker); Jeff. Smith’s Parlor (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fatal Duel (about 500 feet away); Arctic Brotherhood Camp Skagway (about 500 feet away); Captain William Moore (approx. ¼ mile away); Skagway's Historic Waterfront (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Skagway.
More about this marker. The monument was originally dedicated on August 4, 1929, at Inspiration Point in White Pass above Dead Horse Gulch. It was unveiled by Florence Hartshorn, representing the Alaska Yukon Pioneers and the Ladies of the Golden North. It was moved to the more accessible location in Skagway's Centennial Park in 1997.
Also see . . .
1. Dead Horse Trail. (Submitted on October 6, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Dead Horse Gulch. (Submitted on October 8, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. "Stampeders"; Dead Horse Trail; Dead Horse Gulch; Florence Hartshorn; Packer James Newman; artist, James A. Wehn
Categories. • Animals •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 515 times since then. Last updated on October 8, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photo 1. submitted on October 5, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.