Granite Falls in Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
After using the one-room school from 1873 to 1878, the district built a new school at a cost of $4,400. This school was built on a rocky rise between Elm Street and Granite Street.
It was in the late 1920's when the east side school was closed. One thing salvaged from the school was this bell, which has been the property of the Yellow Medicine County Historical Society for many years.
The bell sits on this rocky monument which was built by volunteer workers, George Swanson, K. Sorenson and Willis Johnson.
Location. 44° 48.222′ N, 95° 32.769′ W. Marker is in Granite Falls, Minnesota, in Yellow Medicine County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 67 east of State Highway 23, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is by the Yellow Medicine County Historical Society Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 98 Minnesota State Highway 67 East, Granite Falls MN 56241, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this Henry Hill 1829-1879 (within shouting distance of this marker); World's Oldest Rock (within shouting distance of this marker); Ancient Exposed Rocks (within shouting distance of this marker); A Witness to Time (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Hanley Falls Railroad "Y" (approx. 8½ miles away); The Wood Lake Battle (approx. 8.9 miles away); Wood Lake Battlefield State Monument (approx. 8.9 miles away); Maza sa Protected His Village (approx. 13.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granite Falls.
Also see . . . Granite Falls, Minnesota. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on October 12, 2013.)
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 12, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.