Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tiburon in Marin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Fort McDowell’s General Store

 
 
Fort McDowell’s General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 3, 2013
1. Fort McDowell’s General Store Marker
Inscription. The Post Exchange, or PX, was built in 1910 to be a “one stop shopping place” for soldiers at Fort McDowell. Soldiers purchased clothing toiletries, and other supplies here. The PX also offered a restaurant, soda fountain, barbershop, taproom (with beer on tap) and, during WW I, a bowling alley and gymnasium.
 
Location. 37° 51.748′ N, 122° 25.304′ W. Marker is in Tiburon, California, in Marin County. Marker can be reached from Perimeter Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belvedere Tiburon CA 94920, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 600 Bunkmates (within shouting distance of this marker); Guarding the Post (within shouting distance of this marker); Shipping Out and Coming Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bowling and Dollars (about 300 feet away); Ministering to all Faiths (about 300 feet away); Treating the Troops (about 400 feet away); Play Games (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Post Expands (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tiburon.
 
Regarding Fort McDowell’s General Store. Angel Island State Park is accessed by ferry from Tiburon. Perimeter Road is a 5 mile, mostly paved, walking/bicycle
Fort McDowell’s General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 3, 2013
2. Fort McDowell’s General Store Marker
HABS Statement of Signicance: The growth of the U.S. military in the early twentieth century precipitated expansion of the Army presence on Angel Island. After nearly forty years of maintaining a modest Army installation at Camp Reynolds on the west side of the island, development and resources were shifted to a new location on the east. Initially a quarry and outpost of Fort McDowell, this site was used for a variety of administrative purposes relating to the enlistment, assignment, movement, and discharge of troops until the base was decommissioned in 1946. As it still exists, the East Garrison features a remarkable collection of Army architecture from the early twentieth century.... (Continued next photo.)
path that goes around Angel Island. This marker is located at Fort McDowell.
 
Also see . . .  Historic American Buildings Survey Record for Fort McDowell. (Submitted on October 14, 2013.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMilitary
 
Fort McDowell - Post Exchange (General Store), Hospital, Mess & Drill Hall image. Click for full size.
James W. Rosenthal (Historic American Buildings Survey), 2002
3. Fort McDowell - Post Exchange (General Store), Hospital, Mess & Drill Hall
(Statement of Signicance, continued)...A major building campaign of reinforced concrete Mission Revival structures begun in 1910 gave this important recruit depot a cohesive aesthetic that reflected the new importance of planning in Army construction. Additional wood structures dating to both before and after this campaign illustrate the variety of architecture and functions at an Army post.
The Post Exchange image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress, circa 1930's
4. The Post Exchange
Library of Congress HABS CAL,21-ANGEL,2H--1
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 13, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   3. submitted on October 14, 2013.   4. submitted on October 18, 2013. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement