Charleston in Bradley County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Charleston on the Hiwassee
A Strategic Crossing
The Hiwassee Bridge crossing was not only significant as the connection between Chattanooga and Knoxville, but also played a role in defending Charleston. Desperate for supplies in the aftermath of the Battle of Missionary Ridge, two of Confederate Gen. Joseph Wheeler’s cavalry divisions raided a Union wagon train of Col. Bernard Laibold on December 28, 1863. The 300 wagons were crossing the Hiwassee en route from Chattanooga to Knoxville. As Laibold’s infantry defended the
“I have given the rebel General (Joseph) Wheeler a sound thrashing this morning.” —Col. Bernard Laibold, 2nd Missouri Infantry
Civil War Atlas, 1891
Col. Eli Long Courtesy Library of Congress
Gen. Joseph Wheeler Courtesy Library of Congress
Civil War Atlas, 1891
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 17.006′ N, 84° 45.469′ W. Marker is in Charleston, Tennessee, in Bradley County. Marker is at the intersection of Worth Street Northeast and Market Street Northeast, on the left when traveling east on Worth Street Northeast. Touch for map. The marker is located in the Charleston City Park. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston TN 37310, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Henegar House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Joseph McMinn (approx. 1.1 miles away); "Chief Jack" Walker (approx. 7.6 miles away); Nancy Ward (approx. 9.3 miles away); a different marker also named Nancy Ward (approx. 9.4 miles away); Lee College (approx. 10.3 miles away); Oak Grove Male Academy (approx. 10.8 miles away); Col. Benjamin Cleveland (approx. 10.8 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 543 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.