Knoxville in Knox County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Confederate Memorial Hall
On November 18, when the Federal line was 750 yards east of the house, Union Gen. Williams P. Sanders ordered Lt. Samuel Benjamin in Fort Loudon to put a cannon shot through the Bleak House tower to dislodge the sharpshooters. Called “The Prettiest Shot of the War” by the Federals, it hit the second floor of the house at its southeast corner, killing three of the sharpshooters. Their pencil portraits are on the tower’s interior north wall. That afternoon, Sanders was mortally wounded, reputedly by a sharpshooter, after watching Capt. Stephen Winthrop rally the Confederates. Federal officials renamed Fort Loudon in honor of Sanders.
During the fighting, Mrs. Armstrong and her daughters were confined to an upstairs bedroom for their safety. A sentry was instructed not to allow them downstairs without permission. Mrs. Armstrong once
On December 4, Longstreet left Bleak House, a place riddled with many bullet holes, as well as a shell scar in the main parlor.
Drawing of Sharpshooters
Bleak House, circa 1874
Gen. James Longstreet
Mrs. Louisa Franklin Armstrong and James Longstreet, 1890
All photos courtesy Knoxville Chapter 89, United Daughters of the Confederacy
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 35° 56.988′ N, 83° 57.377′ W. Marker is in Knoxville, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker can be reached from Kingston Pike (U.S. 70) 0.4 miles east of Cherokee Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3148 Kingston Pike, Knoxville TN 37919, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Longstreet's Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Death of Gen. William P. Sanders (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Assault Upon Fort Sanders (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fort Sanders U.D.C. Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fort Sanders (approx. 1.4 miles away); This street is dedicated to the memory of Sergeant Lillard Earl Ailor (approx. 1½ miles away); a different marker also named Fort Sanders (approx. 1½ miles away); Knoxville College (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Knoxville.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 500 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 19, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.