Millboro in Bath County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1996 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Q-14.)
Location. 37° 58.501′ N, 79° 36.185′ W. Marker is in Millboro, Virginia, in Bath County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (County Route 644) and Church Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millboro VA 24460, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. T. C. Walker School (approx. 1.7 miles away); Windy Cove Presbyterian Church Fort Dickinson (approx. 3.2 miles away); Bath County / Rockbridge County (approx. 4.2 miles away); Alleghany County / Rockbridge County (approx. 7.3 miles away); Settlement on Warm Springs Mountain (approx. 10.3 miles away); The Virginia Springs Resorts (approx. 10.3 miles away); The Turnpike Movement in Virginia, 1825-1835 (approx. 10.3 miles away).
Regarding Millboro. The Central Virginia Railroad line through Millboro became the main line of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad running from Newport News, Virginia, to Cincinnati, Ohio. Today this portion of the old C&O main line is operated by the Buckingham Branch Railroad. Amtrak’s Cardinal between Washington and Chicago travels through Millboro (but does not stop). During the heyday of American passenger railroading, all of C&O’s named trains passed through Millboro without stopping. Millboro itself was served by three local trains in each direction. The tunnel, now called Millboro Tunnel, is just west of town.
Main Street eastbound turns north then northwest to become Crooked Spur Road, which hairpins over to Millboro Springs to meet Virginia Routes 42 and 39. Millboro may have been on a main railroad line, but it was never on a main highway. Routes 39 and 42 are 10 or more minutes away over crooked narrow roads.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.