Near Eureka in Eureka County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Colonel J.H. Simpson mapped a route through the valley in 1859. The Simpson route, through the north end of the valley, immediately became the Pony Express route from 1860-1861. The Overland telegraph replaced the Pony Express and also crossed the valley.
Early freight toll roads were operated across the valley as lead and silver mining camps boomed in the 1860's. Needs of the mining camps gave rise to a limited livestock and dairy industry. In 1957, a large underground lake was tapped to supply water for irrigation.
Erected by Nevada State Park System, Eureka County Commission. (Marker Number 82.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pony Express National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 39° 45.333′ N, 116° 5.034′ W. Marker is near Eureka Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eureka NV 89316, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Eureka Mining District (approx. 14.6 miles away).
Also see . . . New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of each individual marker on its website and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to the marker for grammar and readability. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on November 12, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Communications • Exploration •
More. Search the internet for Diamond Valley.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 22, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.