Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The “Honest John” Rocket
The Honest John was developed at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama, in 1950, and first fired at White Sands Missile Range in 1951.
Later versions carried a high-explosive warhead instead of an atomic payload. The Honest John weighted in at 5,800 pounds and had a range of 25 miles. Production ended in 1965, after more than 7,000 rockets had been built. In was replaced by the MGM-52 Lance in 1973.
Location. 34° 48.717′ N, 87° 37.43′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is on Veterans Park Drive 0.3 miles east of South Cox Creek Parkway (Alabama Route 133), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located south of the Veterans Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hawk Missile (a few steps from this marker); W.W. II Anchor (a few steps from this marker); 16” Projectile (a few steps from this marker); “Gooney Bird” Propeller Anti-Tank Gun (a few steps from this marker); Don Leslie Michael (within shouting distance of this marker); 75mm Field Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 474 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.