Red Bank in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
From the concealment of these hills, Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman with 4 Federal divisions, moved to cross the Tennessee River, Nov. 24, 1863, to open the attack against Missionary Ridge next day. The Confederates, losing contact, assumed he had gone to Knoxville to relieve Burnside of the pressure being put on him by Longstreet
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2A 17.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 5.473′ N, 85° 18.085′ W. Marker is in Red Bank, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Memorial Drive 0.2 miles east of James Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located just east of the entrance to the Chattanooga Memorial Park Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Memorial Drive, Chattanooga TN 37415, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chattanooga High School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Williams' Island (approx. 1½ miles away); Wilder's Artillery Position (approx. 1.6 miles away); Stringer's Ridge (was approx. 1.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Civil War River Crossing (approx. 1.9 miles away); Red Bank Veteran's Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); 1864 Military Bridge (approx. 2.1 miles away); Union Block House (approx. 2.1 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2013, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 26, 2013, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2013, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.