Paulsboro in Gloucester County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse
The Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse began operation on the evening of December 31, 1880. The lighthouse is a steel skeletal structure standing 85 feet tall with 112 steps leading from the neoclassical pavilion at the base of the tower to the lantern room. Directly below the lantern room is the watch room, which has a unique wood lined closet that curves along the circular outer wall of the tower. The accompanying illustrations show the light station as it appeared in 1913. Along with the light tower was a keeperís dwelling, consisting of seven rooms, brick oil house, frame barn and barnyard, cow shed, poultry house and privy situated on 4.8 acres of land. At various times, in the early days, “day marks”, consisting of a four foot diameter iron disk, mounted on a tall staff above the lantern room and slatted frames on each side of the tower, just below the watch room, were added to show above interfering trees at the old Lincoln Park. Today, only the lighthouse remains, although a few of the original bricks, which once were part of the neatly laid walkways connecting the stationís buildings, may still be located around the base of the tower. Benjamin Hannold was the first lighthouse keeper at Tinicum and Captain John Birch served as the lightís last official keeper.
In 1890 the light was described as a fixed red light
The Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse works in conjunction with the Tinicum Front Range Light. This light actually serves two rear range lights, Tinicum and Fort Mifflin Bar Cut Range. It too was activated on December 31, 1880 and is located on the Delaware River bank approximately 5/8 of a mile southwest of the rear light. The accompanying illustration shows the Tinicum Front Range Light Station, which was also referred to as the Billingsport Front Light, as it appeared after the detached tower was built in 1908. Originally, the lights were housed in the dwelling, moved to a detached tower in 1887 due to a change in the shipping channel and moved again to a new tower in 1908 due to another shift in the channel. Today, only the base of the tower remains, upon which is a modern skeletal tower supporting two automated lights, that continue to mark the Tinicum and Mifflin Ranges.
Erected by New Jersey Lighthouse Society.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is accessible from the Little League parking lot, off 2nd Street between Billings Avenue and Mantua Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Paulsboro NJ 08066, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Billingsport (approx. half a mile away); The Fort at Billingsport (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dennis Leary & William Barney (approx. 0.6 miles away); Billingsport, New Jersey (approx. 0.6 miles away); Artillery Shed (approx. 2.4 miles away in Pennsylvania); Blacksmith Shop (approx. 2.4 miles away in Pennsylvania); West Sallyport (approx. 2.4 miles away in Pennsylvania); Citadel - 1796 (approx. 2.4 miles away in Pennsylvania). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paulsboro.
More about this marker. The marker contains photos the Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse with outbuildings; Billingsport Front Light, Paulsboro, N.J.; and Tinicum Front Range Light.
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 27, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.