Lutherstadt Wittenberg in Wittenberg District, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany
Mains Water Well on the Market Square
Röhrwasserbrunnen auf dem “Marktplatz”
The members of the union "New Jungfernröhrwasser", including Caspar Pfreundt und Christoff Niemeck, commissioned the construction of this water main in 1559. At the start there were 19 members. The water was taken from the spring area to the individual courtyards along a 2.7 km pipe, which used the natural downwards gradient of the terrain. The pipes were made of hollowed tree trunks, connected to each other using iron joints. Wells were constructed in different forms and using different materials in the outlets on the individual courtyards, the so-called portions. One portion supplies ten liters of fresh water in four minutes, day and night, in Summer and Winter.
This technical monument from the 16th century, which still works today, is unique in Germany. It is serviced by the pipe engineer in the service of the union that still exists today.
The well on the Southwest corner of the Town Hall was constructed in 1524; it was replaced by the Renaissance well in 1617, which stands today. Mains water has flowed from this well since 1986.
The Water Piping Systems is maintained by Stadwerke Lutherstadt Wittenberg GmbH
Dieses noch heute funktionierende technische Denkmal des 16. Jahrhunderts ist einmalig in Deutschland. Es wird überwacht durch den Röhrmeister der noch heute bestehenden Gewerkschaft.
Der Brunnen an der Süd-West-Ecke des Rathauses wurde 1524 erbaut und 1617 durch den noch heute stehenden Renaissancebrunnen ersetzt. Seit 1986 fließt Röhrwasser aus dem Brunnen.
Betreut wird das Röhrwasser durch die Gewerkschaft Altes und Neues Jungfernröhrwasser der Lutherstadt Wittenberg e. V.
Location. 51° 51.997′ N, 12° 38.587′ E. Marker is in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt, in Wittenberg District. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philipp Melanchthon (a few steps from this marker); Martin Luther (within shouting distance of this marker); Napoleon I. (within shouting distance of this marker); Maxim Gorki (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucas Cranach (within shouting distance of this marker); Cranach-Hof (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Cranach-Hof (within shouting distance of this marker); The Beyer Courty (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lutherstadt Wittenberg.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Environment • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 555 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.