Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Robert Robinson Library -1940
Alexandria Black Resource Center / History Museum - 1989
In the summer of 1939, Attorney Samuel W. Tucker organized six youths — William Evans, Otto Tucker, Edward Caddis, Morris Murray, Clarence Strange, and Robert Strange — for a “sit-in” at the segregated Alexandria Public Library, protesting the denial of access to the African American community. The “sit-in” is believed to have been the earliest in America. The arrest of five of these young men and their court case, pleaded by Mr. Tucker, resulted in a separate facility for African Americans being built here, at 698 North Alfred Street, the present location of the Alexandria Black History Resource Center.
The library is named after the Reverend Robert Robinson, a 19th century minister at the Roberts Chapel M.E. Church in the 600 block of S. Washington Street. With Mrs. Evelyn Roper Beam as its first librarian, the Robert Robinson Library opened its doors to the African American community on April 24, 1940.
Alexandria Black History Resource Center
April 8, 1989
The Alexandria Black History Resource Center opened in 1983 and was located
Patricia S. Ticer, Vice Mayor
Lionel R. Hope; William Cleveland; Michael T. Jackson; Kerry J. Donley; Redella S. Pepper
Vola Lawson, City Manager
Erected 1983 by the City of Alexandria, the Alexandria Society for the Preservation of Black Heritage, Inc. and the Alumni Association of Parker-Gray School.
Location. 38° 48.725′ N, 77° 2.872′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Wythe Street and North Alfred Street, on the right when traveling east on Wythe Street. Touch for map. Panel 1: is on the southwest corner of the intersection, one block east of N. Patrick St. (U.S. Hwy. 1).
Panel 2: is at the main (north side) entrance to the expanded Alexandria Black History Museum/Resource Center at 902 Wythe Street.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Memorial Pool (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Bland Homes (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hump: Open Lots For Blocks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexandria and Fredericksburg Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colross-Alexandria's Urban Phoenix (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Edmund Jennings Lee (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington-Rochambeau Route (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee-Fendall House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Also see . . .
1. Alexandria Black History Museum. (Submitted on November 1, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Samuel Wilber Tucker, esq. (Submitted on November 1, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. "Jim Crow"; "separate but equal"; "desegregation"; "Alexandria Black History Museum"
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,173 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on November 1, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on October 31, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 1, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 10. submitted on March 22, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.