Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Riﬂe / 7” Brooke Riﬂe
6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Rifle
Designed by Robert Parker Parrott at the outbreak of the Civil War, the Parrott Rifle became one of the most used rifled artillery pieces during the war. With shells that exploded on impact, rifled guns such as the Parrott Rifle spelled the end of masonry fortifications. In the 1870ís, the U.S. Army attempted to modernize Fort Morgan by shipping several 6.4” (100pdr.) Parrott Rifles to the fort to improve its armament.
7” Brooke Rifle
At the beginning of the Civil War, Confederate authorities were faced with the challenge of designing and manufacturing weapons comparable to those of the U.S. Governmentís. The Brooke Rifle, designed by John Mercer Brooke, was the solution to the U.S. Governmentís Parrott Rifle. Fort Morgan was armed with two 7” Double Banded Brooke Rifles at the time of the siege in 1864.
The Brooke Rifle on display, number “S89”, was cast at the Confederate Naval Works in Selma, Alabama after the surrender of Fort Morgan. Mounted in a fortification north of Mobile, it was dumped into the river at the conclusion of the war.
Location. 30° 13.752′ N, 88° 1.358′ W. Marker is in Gulf Shores, Alabama, in Baldwin County Touch for map. Located on the grounds of Fort Morgan State Historic Park across the parking lot from the museum near the entrance to historic Fort Morgan. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Highway 180 West, Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Overland Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Colors of Significance: Historic Flags of Mobile Point (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Model 1918M1 155mm Gun and Model 1918A1 Carriage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Citadel (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery Thomas (1898-1917) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battery Schenck (1899-1923) (about 300 feet away); Fort Bowyer War of 1812 (about 300 feet away); Citadel (1825-1865) (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulf Shores.
Also see . . . Fort Morgan, Guardian On The Bay. (Submitted on November 2, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,619 times since then and 151 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 2, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.