Amity in Washington County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Reverend Thaddeus Dodd
Pioneer, preacher and educator
Founder and first pastor of the Upper and Lower Ten Mile Presbyterian Churches, 1779-1793
Established the first classical school west of the Allegheny Mountains in 1782.
A trustee and first principal of Washington Academy chartered in 1787 which was a forerunner of Washington College and Washington and Jefferson College.
This memorial upon the site of the first log church, and in the church yard (near) where he is buried, was erected in 1935 by his descendents, the two churches he served, and the Presbytery of Washington.
Erected 1935 by Descendents of Thaddeus Dodd, Upper and Lower Ten Mile Presbyterian Churches, Presbytery of Washington.
Location. 40° 2.292′ N, 80° 12.297′ W. Marker is in Amity, Pennsylvania, in Washington County. Marker is on Amity Ridge Road (U.S. 19) 0.1 miles south of Hillsboro Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at the Lower Ten Mile Church. Marker is in this post office area: Amity PA 15311, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Old Lindley Fort and Stockade (approx. 4.4 miles away); Hillís Tavern LeMoyne Crematory (approx. 8.6 miles away); LeMoyne House (approx. 9.2 miles away); Edward Acheson (approx. 9.2 miles away); Bradford House (approx. 9.2 miles away); Globe Inn (approx. 9.2 miles away); Rebecca Harding Davis (approx. 9.3 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 348 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 2, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.