Gatesville in Coryell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1904 Leon River Bridge
The Bowstring Truss Bridge erected near here in 1882 was the first metal truss bridge in Coryell County. It was damaged by two major floods in 1899 and 1900, and the County Commissioners Court authorized the building of another bridge.
The George E. King Bridge Company of Des Moines, Iowa built this structure in 1904. Features include steel construction, wood decking, original lattice railings, pin-connected members, and elaborate stone abutments. The overall length of 141 feet from end to end allows for the 4-foot depth of masonry piers supporting the bridge. It is a 137-foot Pratt through truss span with a 5-foot timber approach span, and is one of few such bridges surviving in Texas.
The 1904 bridge served as a major east-west artery for Central Texas. The road became part of State Highway 7 in 1917, and was renamed U.S. Highway 84 in the 1930s. The historic bridge was restored and rededicated in 1994.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Location. 31° 25.97′ N, 97° 45.678′ W. Marker is in Gatesville, Texas, in Coryell County. Marker is on West Leon Street 0.1 miles east of Old Georgetown Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at east entrance to bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Gatesville TX 76528, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hammack Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); Gatesville (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wood Cemetery (approx. 11.7 miles away); Purmela Baptist Church (approx. 12.4 miles away); Jonesboro Methodist Church (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 2, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.