Near Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Peace Magazine (1902-1924)
When Fort Morgan was modified between the 1890’s and early 1900’s, an allocation of $7,000.00 was made to build a “Peace” magazine. This building was the central storage area for the powder used by the fort’s guns. If war was expected, the powder was to be moved to the better protected magazines of each gun battery.
Work was begun on the copper-roofed magazine in January 1902 and completed by the end of the year. The building was used until the post was abandoned in 1924. The building remained largely intact until Hurricane Frederic in 1979 tore the roof from the building and collapsed the upper brick work.
Location. 30° 13.775′ N, 88° 0.845′ W. Marker is near Gulf Shores, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker can be reached from Fort Morgan Road (State Road 180) one mile west of Dune Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of Fort Morgan State Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Highway 180 West, Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery Dearborn (1900-1924) (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Damn The Torpedoes!" The Campaigns for Mobile, 1864 - 1865 (about 600 feet away); Post Hospital Complex (about 800 feet away); Here ends the Alabama Scenic River Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Officer’s Row (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Battery Lincoln (approx. 0.3 miles away); "The Shells Were Bursting All Around Us" (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Pride of Seven Flags (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulf Shores.
More about this marker. This marker can be found half mile east of the Fort Morgan Museum along and next to the old runway.
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 512 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 2, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.