Archer in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
When Europeans first arrived in this area in the 16th century, the inhabitants were Timucuan Indians. In 1774, traveling botanist William Bartram visited Seminole Indians nearby. In the 1850's a town called Deer Hammock was established here, probably in anticipation of the construction of the Florida Railroad from Fernandina to Cedar Key. Upon completion of the railroad to Deer Hammock in 1859, the name of the town was changed in honor of James T. Archer, Florida's Secretary of State 1845-49 and advocate of internal improvements. The Archer post office was established the same year. In May, 1865, the remnants of the Confederate treasury, removed from captured Richmond and conveyed by baggage train into Florida, were hidden at Cotton Wood, the Archer plantation of David Yulee, just prior to Union seizure at Waldo.
In the contested presidential election of 1876, the votes of the Archer precinct for the Republican candidate were among those challenged but allowed to stand, thus securing the victory of Rutherford B. Hayes over Samuel J. Tilden. The town of Archer was incorporated in 1878. Among new arrivals in the 1880's were Quakers who planted extensive orange groves using avenues of oaks as windbreaks. The freezes of 1886 and 1894-95 killed the orange trees, but the oaks survived to shade the city streets.
Erected 1972 by Alachua County Historical Commission In Cooperation With Department of State. (Marker Number F-205.)
Location. 29° 31.874′ N, 82° 31.311′ W. Marker is in Archer, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on SW 134th Avenue near SW 132nd Lane, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on City Hall grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16870 SW 134th Avenue, Archer FL 32618, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. David Levy Yulee and Cotton Wood Plantation (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Archer Veterans (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas Gilbert Pearson (approx. ¼ mile away); Historic Haile Homestead At Kanapaha Plantation (approx. 6.8 miles away); Kanapaha Presbyterian Church (approx. 7½ miles away); Old Stage Road (approx. 9.4 miles away); Newberry Community Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.6 miles away); City of Newberry Historic District (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Archer.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 679 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 5, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.