Newark in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Academy in Newark
Dedicated to learning, it found, in time of war, a new mission in the cause of liberty, giving useful service as a barracks and hospital for American troops.
On the night of January 25, 1780, it was burned to the ground by a raiding party of British, who crossed from New York on the ice and surprised the town.
This school was the forerunner of the present Newark Academy which erected its first building in 1792 at the corner of Broad and Academy Streets.
Placed by the Trustees, teachers, graduates and students of Newark Academy, June 1916.
Replaced by the Commissioners of the City of Newark, May 1941.
Erected 1941 by Commissioners of the City of Newark.
Location. 40° 44.56′ N, 74° 10.217′ W. Marker is in Newark, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is on Washington Place, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in Newark's Washington Park. Marker is in this post office area: Newark NJ 07102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Line of March of Washington’s Army (within shouting distance of this marker); Seth Boyden Christopher Columbus (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Seth Boyden (about 400 feet away); Perfect Vehicles 1988-90 (about 400 feet away); The 19th Century Italianate Town House (about 400 feet away); Newark & Washington Park in the 19th Century (about 500 feet away); St. Patrick's Pro-Cathedral (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Also see . . . Newark Academy. History & Mission. (Submitted on April 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Education • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 938 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.