Chevy Chase in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Colonel Joseph Belt
Patentee of "Cheivy Chace", Trustee of first free schools in Maryland, one of the founders of Rock Creek Parish, member of the House of Burgesses, Colonel of Prince George's County militia during the French and Indian War.
Erected 1911 by The Society of Colonial Wars in the District of Columbia.
Location. 38° 58.082′ N, 77° 4.599′ W. Marker is in Chevy Chase, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Western Avenue and Chevy Chase Circle and Connecticut Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Western Avenue. Touch for map. It is on the northeast corner of Western and the circle. Marker is in this post office area: Chevy Chase MD 20815, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Original Federal Boundary Stone NW 7 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Bayard (approx. 1.1 miles away in District of Columbia); Fort Reno (approx. 1.2 miles away in District of Columbia); Three R's (approx. 1.2 miles away in District of Columbia); a different marker also named Fort Reno The Civil War Defenses of Washington (approx. 1.2 miles away in District of Columbia); a different marker also named Fort Reno (approx. 1.2 miles away in District of Columbia); Suburban Style (approx. 1.3 miles away in District of Columbia).
More about this marker. Chevy Chase is a suburb of Washington, D.C. Across Western Avenue from the marker is the northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C. The Maryland-District of Columbia line runs down the middle of Western Avenue and bisects Chevy Chase Circle. Colonel Belt's land holdings were on both sides of the state line. The section of Washington DC here is also known as Chevy Chase.
Also see . . . Dedication Service 1911. Internet Archive. (Submitted on March 27, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
1. The Dedication Ceremony, Nov. 12 1911
When the boulder was unveiled by by Thomas Truxton Houston, Jr., great-great-great-great-grandson of Col. Joseph Belt, the chaplain Reverend Roland Cotton Smith, Doctor of Divinity said:
"On behalf of the Society of Colonial Wars in the District of Columbia,
"We yield Thee hearty thanks, most merciful Father, that it hast pleased Thee to place among men Thy servant of strong arm and Christian voice whose works helped to make possible the building of our nation
and the spread of Thy teachings. We thank Thee also for those of his children who have followed in his pathway of Christian religion and civic virtue. And humbly we beseech Thee to grant, that by Thy grace, all his worthy qualities may be born again in each succeeding generation to the glory of Thy Holy Name and the perpetuation of our country, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
— Submitted December 3, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,043 times since then and 106 times this year. Last updated on November 14, 2013, by Brian Steinbach of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on December 3, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.