Fort Jones in Siskiyou County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Improvements to the old trail were completed in 1854 allowing freight and stagecoaches to travel the new extension of the Oregon to California Stage Route south to Callahan by 1860. Trading posts, stage and freight stops as well as the new town of Fort Jones were established.
Businesses from Deadwood and other mining communities, like Carlockís general store (located below the Masonic Lodge across the street) featured a safe to “hold & keep safe” the minerís gold. With a reputation for honesty and professionalism, Carlock became an important civic leader and formed the Carlock Banking Company, later to be named Scott Valley Bank in 1910.
Dedicated Sept. 4, 2010 by
Humbug Chapter of E. Clampus Vitus 73
& Scott Valley Bank
Erected 2010 by E Clampus Vitus, Humbug Chapter 73 & Scott Valley Bank.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 41° 36.401′ N, 122° 50.515′ W. Marker is in Fort Jones, California, in Siskiyou County. Marker is on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11890 Main Street, Fort Jones CA 96032, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “Fort Jones House” (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); World Wars Memorial (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Jones (approx. ĺ mile away); Sgt. James Bryan (approx. one mile away); Meamber School (approx. 6.1 miles away); Deadwood (was approx. 7.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Robbers Rock (approx. 7.9 miles away); Gus Meamber Pack Train Trail (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Jones.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 250 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.