Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The railroad encouraged gardens, which gave workers a respite from their industrial surroundings. There was friendly competition between rail yards, each claiming prized vegetables or flowers. The Workers’ Gardens you stand in now was recreated in 2004 with the assistance of the Trustees’ Garden Club. It is based on the garden designed around 1900. Tradition credits rose enthusiast and Master Mechanic Whitehurst with creating the garden. Mr. Whitehurst had an additional interest in developing this garden, as his office window overlooked it. Below, Central of Georgia workers stand in the garden in 1923. Note the walkway and fountain curbing in the lower right corner.
(lower left) Mr. Andrew Paul, a railroad employee from 1899-1951, admires the okra in the Central of Georgia Workers’ Garden. Vegetable plants supplemented the initial roses and other flowers.
Location. 32° 4.5′ N, 81° 6.083′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Georgia State Railroad Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 655 Louisville Road, Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Turntable (here, next to this marker); Machine Shop (here, next to this marker); Tender Frame Shop & Master Mechanic's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Smokestack (within shouting distance of this marker); Drop Table (within shouting distance of this marker); Colored Shopmen's Locker & Lavatory (within shouting distance of this marker); Boiler Room (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . . Georgia State Railroad Museum. Coastal Heritage Society. (Submitted on November 18, 2013.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 199 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 17, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.