Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Tender Frame Shop & Master Mechanic's Oﬃce
The tenders built here were wooden horizontal undercarriages that supported locomotive water tanks and fuel. An archway connected the Tender Frame Shop to the Machine Shop. This allowed workers to move the constructed frames for machine work.
Increasing locomotive size and technological improvements, such as replacing wooden lender frames with iron to reduce fire hazards, made the Tender Frame Shop obsolete.
In 1899, the Central added a second story. Later, the building housed scientific testing and air brake testing laboratories. The Master Mechanicís Office occupied the first floor, as did an apprentice school.
(upper right) Posing at the front door
(middle right)Tender Frame Shop and Master Mechanicís Office in red in lower right corner on 1895 map. Image courtesy of the Georgia Historical Society
(lower right) This well-worn photograph reveals the inside of the Master Mechanicís Office.
Location. 32° 4.483′ N, 81° 6.083′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Louisville Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Georgia State Railroad Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Turntable (within shouting distance of this marker); Machine Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Workers' Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Smokestack (within shouting distance of this marker); Drop Table (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boiler Room (about 300 feet away); Planing Shed & Lumber Shed (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . . Georgia State Railroad Museum. Coastal Heritage Society. (Submitted on November 18, 2013.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 246 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.