Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sawyers Bar in Siskiyou County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Sawyers Bar

1850 – 1950

 
 
Sawyers Bar Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 23, 2013
1. Sawyers Bar Marker
Inscription. Sawyers Bar is perhaps the most picturesque of the northern mining towns. It was founded in 1850 by Captain John Best and party who were guided to the spot by a friendly Indian. The town was originally called Bestville and had over 3,000 inhabitants. It owes it present name to the fact that on an adjacent gravel bar stood the camp of early day mill sawyers. The most noteworthy features are the century old frame buildings and the famous Catholic Church, counterpart of the southern mission. The towns (sic) first postmaster was John Daggett who in 1883 became Lt. Governor of California.
 
Erected 1950 by Sawyers Bar and the County of Siskiyou.
 
Location. 41° 17.829′ N, 123° 7.818′ W. Marker is in Sawyers Bar, California, in Siskiyou County. Marker is on Sawyers Bar Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24144 Sawyers Bar Road, Etna CA 96027, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eddy Gulch Lookout (approx. 3.9 miles away but has been reported missing).
 
Also see . . .  Siskiyou County - Online. The Salmon River area to the southwest
Sawyers Bar Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 23, 2013
2. Sawyers Bar Marker
The marker is visible just to the left of the flag pole. The Sawyers Bar Town Hall is seen in the background.
of Scott Valley was a rich gold bearing area in the middle 1800ís, with gold being discovered in the spring of 1850 on the North Fork of the Salmon River by a group of miners who came over Etna Mountain.
(Submitted on December 2, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Sawyers Bar Catholic Church Dedication Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
3. Sawyers Bar Catholic Church Dedication Plaque
Erected 1885
Dedicated to the memory of
Father Florin and the pioneers
of Sawyers Bar on October 7, 1928
by Mountain Dawn Parlor No. 120,
Native Daughters of the Golden West and Liberty Parlor No. 193,
Native Sons of the Golden West
Sawyers Bar Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
4. Sawyers Bar Catholic Church
Sawyers Bar Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
5. Sawyers Bar Catholic Church
Historic Sawyers Bar Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
6. Historic Sawyers Bar Catholic Church
Constructed in 1855
Sawyers Bar Catholic Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
7. Sawyers Bar Catholic Cemetery
Sawyers Bar Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs
8. Sawyers Bar Catholic Church
Historic American Buildings Survey
HABS CAL,47-SAWBA,2--1
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 445 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   8. submitted on December 2, 2013. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement