Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cocoa in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Mark’s Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Cox, November 18, 2013
1. St. Mark’s Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. On June 2, 1878, the Right Reverend John Freeman Young, Bishop of Florida, and Dr. William H. Carter of Holy Cross Church of Sanford, Florida, held the first meeting of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church at a nearby Rockledge residence. The mission was originally named St. Michael’s in honor of St. Michael the Archangel. In 1884, Mrs. Lucy Boardman, a winter resident of Sanford and frequent visitor to Cocoa and Melbourne, made a donation to Bishop Young for the construction of Episcopal churches in the Indian River area. Mrs. Sarah O. Delannoy donated land for the church. The board and batten Carpenter Gothic church was designed by Gabriel Gingras in 1886. William Booth and William Hindle, both early settlers in Cocoa, designed and installed the church’s woodwork. While still under construction on Christmas Eve, 1886, the church was the site of the first Christmas tree ever seen in Cocoa Village. In 1888, “Michael,” the church’s tower bell, was cast in New York. In 1890, the church name was changed to St. Mark’s in recognition of support from St. Mark’s Church in West Orange, New Jersey. Despite later remodeling and additions, most of the church’s original interior woodwork and stained glass windows remain.
 
Erected 2010 by The Brevard County Historical Commission, The Brevard County Tourist
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Cox, November 18, 2013
2. St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
Development Council and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-689.)
 
Location. 28° 21.202′ N, 80° 43.48′ W. Marker is in Cocoa, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and Riverside Drive, on the left when traveling east on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cocoa FL 32922, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hernandez Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Valencia Historic District (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lawndale (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Last Naval Battle of the American Revolutionary War (approx. 2.6 miles away); Ulumay (approx. 3 miles away); Provost Hall (approx. 5.3 miles away); Georgiana Railway: 1892-1894 (approx. 5.4 miles away); Georgianna United Methodist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  St. Mark's Episcopal Academy. (Submitted on November 19, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida.)
 
Additional keywords. school
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Mark’s Episcopal Academy Sign image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Cox, November 18, 2013
3. St. Mark’s Episcopal Academy Sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 545 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 18, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement