Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Redding in Shasta County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Diestelhorst Auto Camp / Reidís Ferry

 
 
Diestelhorst Auto Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 25, 2013
1. Diestelhorst Auto Camp Marker
Inscription. Two separate markers have been mounted on the same rock.

Marker on the Right:
Diestelhorst Auto Camp
Gotlieb Justus Diestelhorst came to Shasta in 1852, to grow produce and vegetables to sell. He found the soil impossible. This 84 acre parcel became available, in 1859. With his wife Caroline, he settled in to raise a family and farm. Upriver from his home, Gotlieb planted an extensive orchard. Downriver from his home was a huge vegetable garden. On the high ground towards downtown, he planted hay. After his death in 1903 his sons, John and Charles, continued the store and ranch. Charles started the first dredge in Shasta County. With the advent of the automobile the family developed an auto camp with 30 cabins, gas station and store. Water was supplied by a huge water wheel, then a very large pump. The auto camp became a summer resort and with the bridge in place for jumping and diving competition, the resort was a popular summer swimming hole for local residents. The “Riverside Dance Pavilion” was built next to the south approach to the bridge. Big bands from Los Angeles to Seattle came to play. The 1940 flood wiped out most of the resort. The descendants of Gotlieb sold the property to the city for a park in 1977.

Marker on the Left:
Reidís
Reidís Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 25, 2013
2. Reidís Ferry Marker
Ferry
This ferry crossing was established in 1851 under license of the Court of Sessions. Also known and operated as Shawís, Greenís and Huntís Ferries, it was purchased by Edward Reid in 1860. This site was the main crossing of the Sacramento River on the road from Shasta, and after Redding was founded in 1872, from Redding to northern and eastern Shasta County, until the free bridge was built in 1884. It was operated by E.A. Reid until sold to John and Charles Diestelhorst, the sons of Gotleib Diestelhorst, in 1907. Since the ferry was launched from Diestelhorst property, the acquisition of the ferry fit well into the vast array of businesses developed by the family. Gotlieb Diestelhorst purchased 84 acres along the river in 1859, for the sum of $2,500, part of Major Pierson B. Readingís Rancho Buena Ventura. For a short time after the Diestelhorst Bridge was completed across the river at this location in 1915, the bridge was known as Reidís Ferry Bridge. The Diestelhorst family sold the land for the railroad trestle and bridge approach to the city. The bridge was in constant use until 1997, with the completion of the North Court Street Bridge.
 
Erected 2011 by Rotory Club of Redding, Shasta Historical Society and E Clampus Vitus, Trinitarianus Chapter 62,.
 
Marker series.
Diestelhorst Auto Camp / Reidís Ferry Markers image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 25, 2013
3. Diestelhorst Auto Camp / Reidís Ferry Markers
This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 40° 35.484′ N, 122° 24.101′ W. Marker is in Redding, California, in Shasta County. Marker is at the intersection of Middle Creek Road and Benton Drive, on the right when traveling west on Middle Creek Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Redding CA 96001, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cascade Theater (approx. 0.9 miles away); Foundation of Catholic Basilica (approx. 4.6 miles away); Litsch Store (approx. 4.7 miles away); Cold Storage Room (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Coyle-Foster Barn in its Heyday (approx. 4.7 miles away); Coyle-Foster Barn (approx. 4.7 miles away); Southside Ruins (approx. 4.7 miles away); Western Star Lodge No. 2 (approx. 4.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. These markers are found at the entrance to Diestelhorst Bridge Park located on the west side of Benton Drive and on the south side of the Sacramento River.


The Reid's Ferry marker replaces an earlier E Clampus Vitus marker erected in 1969.
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsRoads & Vehicles
 
Diestelhorst Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 25, 2013
4. Diestelhorst Bridge
Diestelhorst Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 25, 2013
5. Diestelhorst Bridge
Diestelhorst Auto Camp, c. 1930s image. Click for full size.
6. Diestelhorst Auto Camp, c. 1930s
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 21, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement