Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kinston in Lenoir County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Center of the Confederate Line

Harriet's Chapel Battlefield Park

 

—Battle of Kinston Military Park —

 
The Center of the Confederate Line Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 26, 2013
1. The Center of the Confederate Line Marker
Inscription. Harriet’s Chapel stood in the center of the Confederate line. A heavily wooded wetland stood in front of the line. Behind it was the Neuse River. Three regiments of infantry and two batteries of artillery held this portion of the Confederate line.

The Confederate earthworks stretched from the Neuse River on the east to a deep swamp on the west. This line crossed the Wilmington road (now US 258) which in 1862 made a sharp turn to the west (your right) just south of Harriet’s Chapel. The Confederates used a fence row on the north side of the road and the deep swamp to the west to their advantage. From the near ninety-degree bend in the road the line stretched east in front of Harriet’s Chapel, bending north to the Neuse River. The church sat at the center of the line.

Gen. Nathan Evans placed the 61st North Carolina Infantry under Col. James D. Radcliffe here—in the center of the line. Starr’s Battery—Battery B, 13th North Carolina Artillery—-commanded by Capt. Joseph B. Starr, was also on the line near Harriet’s Chapel. Three South Carolina regiments held the eastern end of the Confederate line.

(captions)
(lower left) Col. James D. Radcliffe
(lower right) Col. Fitz W. McMasters commanded the 17th South Carolina at the eastern end of the Confederate line.
 
Erected by
The Center of the Confederate Line Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 26, 2013
2. The Center of the Confederate Line Marker
Battle of Kinston Military Park.
 
Location. 35° 14.467′ N, 77° 35.267′ W. Marker is in Kinston, North Carolina, in Lenoir County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Richlands Road (U.S. 258) and Measley Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Kinston Battlefield Park. Marker is in this post office area: Kinston NC 28504, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wessells' Advance—December 14, 1862 (here, next to this marker); The Action in the Swamp (here, next to this marker); The Union Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Confederate Defenses of Kinston (within shouting distance of this marker); Caring for the Wounded (within shouting distance of this marker); Starr's Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Site of Harriet's Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Night of December 13, 1862 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kinston.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 382 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement