Mexico in Audrain County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Green Estate
Allen P. Green, with his wife and five children, came to Mexico in 1910 to manage a small, struggling brick plant. He soon bought it and founded the A.P. Green Fire Brick Company. It flourished and by 1937 had become the world's largest firebrick plant.
In building the company, Mr. Green bought several thousand acres for mining fireclay and eventually set aside this property for his family, where he and three of his children built homes. The first home, that of Walter G. and Martha Green Staley, was built in 1933, followed the next year by that of Arthur D. and Elizabeth Green Bond, and in 1938 by that of Robert S. and Susan Keays Green.
In 1941, Mr. Green and his wife Josephine Brown Green built their own Georgian style brick home on the property's most prominent hilltop. After their deaths in 1956 and 1957, their home was used as a guest house for visitors to the company until the closing of the firebrick plant in 2002.
The original four homes and the northern portion of the Estate remain as private property. In 2005, the southern portion of the Estate was donated to the City of Mexico by a great grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Green, Warren C. Smith, Jr. and his family. On May 13, 2006, the land was dedicated by the City as the "Green Estate Park".
Location. 39° 9.132′ N, 91° 53.244′ W. Marker is in Mexico, Missouri, in Audrain County. Marker is at the intersection of Clark Street (U.S. 54) and Hendy Street, on the right when traveling north on Clark Street. Touch for map. Marker is in Green Estate Park. Marker is in this post office area: Mexico MO 65265, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Churchill Gate (a few steps from this marker); Mexico (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Stones (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hardin College Bell (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Courthouse Clock Bell (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bean Creek German Evangelical Church and Littleby Methodist Church Bell (approx. 1.1 miles away); Graceland (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rex McDonald 833 (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mexico.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Missourians: Allen Percival Green. (Submitted on December 1, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. A. P. Green Fire Brick Co., Mexico, Missouri. (Submitted on December 1, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. A. P. Green Empire: The World's Finest First Quality Fire Brick (1935). (Submitted on December 1, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.