Anoka in Anoka County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Gathering Place
The square of land on the east side of the Rum River just south of Main Street has been a place for Anoka citizens to gather since the town began in the mid-1800's. Known as Bridge Square, it was a place to share news, to hear speeches and concerts, to celebrate special occasions, or just to get together. This shelter, while not in the original location, was built in the image of the old band shell that stood a few hundred yards north of here.
Akin Riverside Historic Promenade
Location. 45° 11.765′ N, 93° 23.549′ W. Marker is in Anoka, Minnesota, in Anoka County. Marker can be reached from River Avenue 0.1 miles west of 1st Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in Akin Riverside Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1721 River Avenue, Anoka MN 55303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Why Settle Here? / Time to Play (here, next to this marker); Perseverance Needed (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Stone House / Robert W. Akin (about 600 feet away); Rum River Dam (approx. ¼ mile away); Where Cultures Meet (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bridging the Mississippi Where Land and Water Meet (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fireman's Grove (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anoka.
More about this marker. photo captions:
• A crowd gathered at the Bandshell in Bridge Square, ca. 1930's or 1940's. Courtesy of the Anoka County Historical Society.
• People gathered around the Bandshell on August 4, 1944, to greet Anoka's Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, Richard Sorenson. Courtesy of the Anoka County Historical Society.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 4, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.