St. Stephens in Washington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Old St. Stephens Masonic Lodge No. 9 (1821-1834)/St. Stephens Lodge No. 81
CHARTER AND EARLY MEMBERS WERE:
Gov. Israel Pickens, Col. Silas Dinsmore, Thomas Eastin, R. Chamberlain, Thomas Malone, J.F. Ross, Daniel Coleman, John Womack, W.D. Gaines, James Roberts, James K. Blount, Ptolemy Harris, F.S. Lyon, Micajah Brewer, and John F. McGrew.
One of the nine Lodges that organized the Grand Lodge of Alabama at Cahaba in 1821, but Masonry existed here as early was 1811.
After the decline of Old St. Stephens, a Masonic Lodge was organized and chartered here in 1854. Minutes kept and meetings held continuously since charter date at this site.
CHARTER AND EARLY MEMBERS WERE: T.P. Ashe, W.A. Bailey, Thos. H. Bailey, F.W. Baker, James K. Blount, R.O. Bowling, W.F. Brunson, John W. Carpenter, E.H. Gordy, Jackson W. Faith, James G. Hawkins, F.C. Koen, T.S. Parker, Daniel Rain, Benton C. Rain, John A. Richardson, James White, and Walter Woodyard.
Erected 1973 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 31° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19245 County Road 34, Saint Stephens AL 36569, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Taylor House (approx. 6.2 miles away); Upper Salt Works (approx. 6.3 miles away); Kimbell House (approx. 9½ miles away); The Clarke County War Memorial (approx. 9.6 miles away); C S A Brooke Cannon S-96 (approx. 9.6 miles away); First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station (approx. 9.6 miles away); Jackson (approx. 9.6 miles away); City of Jackson (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 476 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 5, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.