Nicholasville in Jessamine County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Camp Nelson National Cemetery
One of 40 burial grounds listed by Congress in 1866 to become National Cemetery sites. Although no battles were fought in immediate area, a large camp hospital was located here. There were 1,183 men buried in this cemetery between July 28, 1863, and February 4, 1866. This included disinterments from several battlefields. The stone wall was built in 1867-68.
In June and July of 1868, after the Civil War, over 2,000 dead were removed from five areas of Kentucky and reburied here. This included 975 bodies from the battle of Perryville. Also buried here are soldiers from the Spanish-American War, World Wars I and II, Korea, and Vietnam. Expansion of the cemetery was made possible by a ten-acre donation in May of 1975.
Erected 1977 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1610.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 47.256′ N, 84° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6998 Danville Road, Nicholasville KY 40356, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Nelson Refugee Camp / Conditions at Refugee Camp (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Nelson National Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); General William "Bull" Nelson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Butler's Birthplace (approx. half a mile away); Sawyier's Inspiration (approx. half a mile away); John McMurtry’s Station (approx. 7.7 miles away); James Thompson, 1750-1825 (approx. 8.1 miles away); Birthplace of Carry A. Nation / Lady with the Hatchet (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nicholasville.
Regarding Camp Nelson National Cemetery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Nelson_National_Cemetery
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2013, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 8, 2013, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.